Got a taste for beautiful jewelry but don’t want to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to wear it? Say hello to Mejuri – a Millennial-centered fine jewelry company that strikes the balance between luxury and accessibility.
Made for both young women and men in mind who want to wear quality jewelry but perhaps don’t have the cash to splash on some of the bigger labels, Mejuri has a clear focus on creating fine jewelry that’s affordable and trendy – and this is exactly what makes them so appealing.
Not only that, but thanks to some pretty stellar marketing, Mejuri is everywhere. So, unless you’ve been living under a rock (hey, we wouldn’t blame you), then we’re sure you’ll have come across a Mejuri ad or two on Instagram, whether that be from your favorite influencer telling you that it’s their favorite brand, or from a promoted ad nestled into your feed.
Is Mejuri actually worth it though? If you’re currently on the fence about doing business with them, then you’ve clicked on the right article. Below, we’re going to be taking a deep dive look into the world of Mejuri, so that you can make the most well-informed decision possible.
From their humble beginnings, impressive social media presence, all the way to reviews of their bestselling pieces, we’ve made sure to cover all bases, so you can decide whether or not it’s worth the hype. So, whenever you’re ready, just read on!
Mejuri: Brand Background
Mejuri is a fine jewelry brand that was first created by Noura Sakkijha in 2013, who was initially an engineer before switching focus to the jewelry industry.
Sakkijha’s creative vision for Mejuri was clear from the beginning, and she sought out a variety of respected manufacturers that would be able to create fine jewelry at an affordable price to help bring her dream to life.
Initially, Mejuri was going to be a company that was entirely e-commerce and social media focused. However, thanks to a pretty impressive Instagram following, Mejuri rose to huge success and was able to open its first store in Canada in 2018, shortly followed by New York City.
To this day, social media marketing is one of the biggest tactics used by Mejuri to drive sales.
As a brand, Mejuri has a huge focus on sustainability and ethics that really stands out. Over on the Mejuri website, it is stated that:
“Since inception, Mejuri has been committed to quality, not only of our products but of the conditions in which they are produced. We aim to trace each of our pieces from mine to market because traceability allows us to manage and improve the social and environmental impacts of our supply chain.”
In addition to this, Mejuri is very strict about only choosing to work with partners who align with Mejuri’s brand values and are committed to constantly searching for new materials that can be used, so that each has a clear route to their origins.
Additionally, a whopping 60% of all of Mejuri’s production partners across the globe are suppliers that have each been certified by the Responsible Jewelry Council, which is the world’s international standard bearer for helping to guarantee sustainability within the jewelry industry supply chain, as well as fair and just labor rights, and overall integrity across the board.
In addition to this sixty percent, the other 40 percent of Mejuri’s brand partners are made up of family-owned businesses that work extremely closely with Mejuri to help ensure ethical best practices are put in place both socially and environmentally to create high-quality fine jewelry pieces.
Nevertheless, regardless of which side of the spectrum each brand partner falls, all of Mejuri’s brand partners each follow Mejuri’s rigorous Code of Conduct which means that each partner has to adhere to the strict measures put in place by Mejuri to ensure safe working conditions, ethical labor practices, as well as clear and transparent communication – which are all values that are extremely important to Mejuri.
Why you should trust us?
Our team has spent over 15 hours extensively testing and researching the best wellness products, including Mejuri. Our goal is to find the best brands who care about your well-being and help people live better lives. We evaluate products based on their quality, effectiveness and customer support.
We often ask ourselves a simple question: would we buy the product for ourselves and recommend it to our family and friends? This review is reviewed and thoroughly vetted by Amy Bells, our in-house wellness and self-care expert and product tester herself!
According to Mejuri, competing, major brands in the jewelry industry mark their jewelry pieces up to at least 8-10x the actual cost it took to design, manufacture and package – and this is something that Mejuri does their very best to avoid.
In order to make luxury accessible to a wide variety of people and budgets, Mejuri makes sure that they only work with quality manufacturers that will be able to sell Mejuri pieces directly to you.
So, thanks to that, it then means that Mejuri is able to use the exact same materials that some of the most premium jewelry brands do, but without having to mark their jewelry up to traditional price points used by most other brands.
What Materials Does Mejuri Use?
As we already stated above, Mejuri is a brand that was founded upon the belief that fine jewelry didn’t have to come with a hefty price tag, nor come at the cost of damaging the environment or exploiting workers.
As it just so happens, Mejuri isn’t all talk, because they only use materials from partners that can provide a true supply chain history,
According to Mejuri, the traceability of all of their materials are extremely important because it not only serves as a way for them to be able to validate whether or not the materials being used are truly authentic, but it also allows them to have full transparency of where the materials have come from, which then means that they are in a better position to be able to help improve the environmental and social impact each of their jewelry pieces makes. We think that this is fantastic from Mejuri.
Carrying on, Mejuri split their materials between those that have been recycled, as well as fairly mined materials that have only come from sustainable and ethical sources that help to support the community the materials have been mined from.
Mejuri’s transparency to its customers is also extremely clear here, as Mejuri also acknowledges that this is still a goal that hasn’t been entirely achieved yet, and as they grow, working towards total traceability of their supply chain is one of their main priorities.
At the time of writing, here are the materials that Mejuri use:
- 14 Solid Gold: The first material listed on Mejuri’s website is 14k solid gold. This solid gold is a type of precious metal that will not discolor when exposed to oxygen, so you won’t have to worry about oxidizing. Plus, to ensure added durability and plenty of shininess, Mejuri makes sure to coat each of their 14k solid gold pieces with rhodium plating. Mejuri recommends this material to the person with a busy, fast-paced lifestyle, as it is the least out of all materials to become scratched from general wear and tear, and it also doesn’t bend as easily as other materials, either.
- Sterling Silver: The next material that is used by Mejuri is 925 Sterling Silver, which breaks down to 92.5% pure silver, and 7.5% pure copper. Just like the 14k solid gold, Mejuri also coats their 925 sterling silver with rhodium to help ensure durability and shine.
- 18k Gold Vermeil: Slightly more durable than gold plating, gold vermeil has a much thicker layer of gold that will ensure plenty of durability and longevity – regardless of whether you spend your days traveling the world or you’re a career go-getter. Mejuri only uses 18k gold vermeil that is 2.5 microns thick.
- Titanium: The next type of material used by Mejuri is titanium, which is both extremely lightweight and durable. Deemed as being one of the more affordable materials that Mejuri offers, when cared for, titanium can last a great number of years.
- Enamel: Catering to a wide variety of needs and budgets, the next material used by Mejuri is enamel, which usually consists of applying a type of glossy glass to the surface of a metal (or similar surface). Even though traditional enamel is glass-based like the process we just mentioned, Mejuri uses cold enamel, which is otherwise known as epoxy resin enamel. This type of enamel does not contain any glass, which means that it is extremely more durable and resistant to chipping.
- Ceramic: This extremely durable material is made by mixing small amounts of clay with powders and water, and then molding them into the desired shape or design. Then, after the ceramic mold has been made, it is then placed inside a high-temperature oven known as a kiln which helps to try and harden the ceramic. After this, the ceramic is then often covered with a glossy, protective coating that is able to help prevent chipping, provide resistance to rain, and help to add a beautiful, high shine.
- Ethically Sourced Diamonds: What would a jewelry brand be without a few diamonds? Mejuri only used authentic diamonds that are of extremely high quality and have each been ethically sourced from suppliers that follow Mejuri’s strict Code of Conduct. In addition to this, Mejuri states that the only diamonds that they use are Kimberley Process Certified Diamonds with a SI 1-2 clarity.
- Gemstones: Just like the diamonds, Mejuri only ever uses ethically sourced, conflict-free gemstones that are mineral and totally natural. In addition to this, all of Mejuri’s precious and semi-precious gemstones reach the AAA certified grade, which just so happens to be considered the most valuable and rare of all types of gemstones. AAA means “nearly perfect”, and all of Mejuri’s gemstones are well cut and polished to have plenty of shininess.
- Freshwater Pearls: Mejuri also used freshwater pearls that have been ethically taken from oysters and freshwater mussels. Mejuri also states that all pearls are handled with extra care due to their sensitivity.
Mejuri Pros And Cons
- Mejuri offers an engraving service, which will allow you to customize your pieces and make them truly your own. This is also great for gifting, or even as a little self-gifting treat on those self-care days!
- Mejuri has an excellent customer service reputation and is known for its friendly, speedy, and welcoming customer service team.
- All of Mejuri’s pieces come with a warranty attached to them, which clearly displays the quality of this brand. Just think about it, what company would provide a warranty across items they didn’t have absolute faith in the quality of?
- Mejuri packages all of its jewelry items in stunning boxes for a truly luxurious and indulgent experience.
- They have a free returns policy that usually lasts 30 days.
- Mejuri only uses materials that have come from sustainable and ethically sourced suppliers.
- Mejuri does not mark up their items 8-10x the cost in the way that competing brands do.
- There are many people who question the quality of Mejuri’s jewelry pieces, as well as the authenticity of each material. Keep in mind that this is complete skepticism, though.
- Jewelry pieces tend to go out of stock quickly.
- The minimalist style of Mejuri’s craftsmanship may not be to everyone’s taste.
Mejuri Product Reviews
While it’s all good and well to hear about what type of materials Mejuri used, to help you gain a better understanding of Mejuri’s items and style, we’re going to be talking you through some of Mejuri’s best selling pieces. Let’s take a look at them:
Large Diamond Necklace
This beautiful bestseller is available in 14k solid gold and sterling silver and has an estimated retail value of nearly 3000 dollars. Luckily for you, though, you can take it home for just under 1000 dollars.
Perfect as a gift to a loved one and even better as a well-deserved splurge, this eye-catching 14k solid gold necklace comes with an adjustable chain of 16 to 18 inches, contains diamonds that have been ethically sourced to ensure they are conflict-free.
We also can’t help but notice the incredible craftsmanship of Mejuri. This necklace has a striking elegance that can be dressed up or down, and taken from desk to dancefloor – especially as it’s been coated in rhodium, so you won’t have to worry about oxidation, scratches, or damage from general wear and tear.
Sure, though this necklace is certainly pricey, this is extremely affordable in terms of fine jewelry, and Mejuri offers a variety of more affordable options, which you’ll see below.
Diamond Line Necklace
Just by taking a look at this necklace, it’s easy to see a pattern emerging within Mejuri’s style of craftsmanship.
Displaying a real sense of refined elegance, Mejuri’s lean towards minimalism can be seen within this 14k solid gold necklace. The dainty 14k solid gold chain holds a sophisticated 14k gold bar encased with ethically sourced diamonds.
The best part? You can make it a part of your jewelry collection for under 350 dollars.
Croissant Dome Ring
Infusing a sense of playfulness into everyday wear jewelry, another bestseller from Mejuri is this sweet croissant dome ring.
Made of thick gold vermeil and placed at a fantastically affordable price point of just under 120 dollars, this Parisian-inspired ring is a crowd favorite and made of 925 sterling silver.
Even in this ring, Mejuri’s stylistic nature of minimalism is clear to see, so much so that we think it would be easy to identify a piece of Mejuri jewelry when lined up against a variety of competitor pieces. Pretty impressive, considering Mejuri was founded less than 10 years ago.
What Other Customers Are Saying About Mejuri
Even though it’s all good and well hearing about how great of a jewelry brand Mejuri is, one of the most surefire ways that you’ll be able to tell whether or not Mejuri should become your new favorite independent jewelry brand is by taking a look at some authentic reviews, right? Right.
For the most part, it’s safe to say that Mejuri reviews are extremely positive – with the majority of reviews coming with either a 4 or 5* rating.
As we’ve already mentioned, Mejuri has a variety of stand-alone stores located in both Canada and the USA, so if you’re planning on stopping by one of them here are some genuine reviews (taken from Yelp) on what kind of experience you can expect to get:
After strolling through Soho, one customer remarked on the great customer service received and wrote in their review “Since I was strolling around Soho anyway on a Friday afternoon I decided to stop into their brick and mortar shop. I was greeted and asked if I needed help immediately. They were really busy considering it is a tiny store.”
Another NYC shopper made a note of the fantastic customer service received in their review, writing that they were approached by a worker who, “answered all my questions about the pieces I was interested in and even helped me try on some of the necklaces. I don’t think I would have made a purchase without her help, so whoever you are, shout-out to you!”
While another happy, gifted customer wrote “My daughter got me a beautiful necklace from them as a Mother’s Day gift. I absolutely adore this piece is just the way I imagined it very simple and perfect length, not like other brands they don’t make anything less than 18 or 16 inches. I will definitely be going to their showroom in the city soon… thank you Mejuri for making beautiful jewelry.”
Even though there are plenty of happy Mejuri customers, there are a few critical reviews that we feel you should be aware of before deciding to do business with them.
After scanning through some of the critical reviews, the general consensus typically seems to be that Mejuri jewelry can have a tendency to lose its shine or tarnish – and this is something that is present through many of the more negative reviews.
Fancy checking out some more reviews yourself? Just click here to discover some more reviews written by genuine Mejuri customers.
As a side note, despite some of the more critical reviews Mejuri has received, we can’t help but notice how helpful and responsive the Mejuri customer service team are, who consistently offer solutions to help remedy whatever the issue might be, as well as offering the customer the opportunity to take the matter further if so desired by contacting their direct helpline/email.
We really like this, as it shows that Mejuri genuinely cares about its customers.
Here’s an example of Mejur’s noteworthy customer service, taken from a customer review that reads “The first pair of earrings I bought arrived at my door swiftly, and well packaged, but unfortunately defective. After reaching out to customer service, they were able to talk me through possible fixes, and when those were not possible, they sent me a replacement pair free of charge. “
Is Mejuri Worth It?
All in all, Mejuri has our seal of approval. Besides being extremely committed to sustainability and only using materials that have a clear supply chain, Mejuri is dedicated to only working with suppliers that are fair, just and ethical to its workers, and only take diamonds and gemstones from suppliers who support the sustainability and wellbeing of the community they have come from.
In addition to this, Mejuri also has a clear focus on providing their customers with complete and total transparency, which we think is truly commendable.
As we mentioned a little earlier in this guide, Mejuri’s top priority is to ensure that all of its materials are being ethically and sustainably sourced, and understand that there is also room for improvement in this area.
Mejuri also provides its customers with estimated retail price markups alongside its product price, which we think is a really nice touch.
Besides brand values, Mejuri also has a large social media presence and a loyal customer following – just from taking a look at each jewelry piece on the website, you’ll see a flurry of five-star reviews!
Nevertheless, there are many people who question the quality of the materials that Mejuri uses, but we think that this is more skepticism rather than a true criticism of the brand.
Just by taking a look at the honest reviews (that Mejuri allows being placed under each product on their website), it’s clear that Mejuri creates high-quality, fine jewelry that lasts, and at the fraction of the price of other jewelry brands.
Oh, and did we mention that all of Mejuri’s pieces come with a 2-year warranty? It really is hard to find a complaint.
How To Contact Mejuri
If you need to contact Mejuri to get an answer to a question or for help on an order, then you can reach out to Mejuri’s Customer Service Team by contacting: email@example.com.
Alongside their customer service email address, you can also contact Mejuri from their Toronto Store, which is open Monday to Friday 12-8 pm, Saturday 1-7 pm, and then on Sundays between 10-6 pm. Mejuri also has a store located in New York City, where they are open on the weekends from 10-6 pm.
Alternatively, you could also reach out to Mejuri via their social media platforms, including Instagram, Facebook, and even a Twitter account!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Can I Buy Mejuri?
If you are interested in treating yourself or a loved one to a Mejur piece or two (wellbeing and wellness can extend to pretty jewelry, right?), then you will need to either purchase directly from Mejuri’s website, or by visiting one of their physical stores which are located in Toronto, Canada, and New York City, USA.
Unlike some other jewelry stores, Mejuri is solely independent and does not officially sell its items through any third-party retailers, such as Amazon.
What Is Mejuri’s Shipping Policy?
Mejuri ships to a variety of places around the world, including Canada, Australia, Europe, the Uk, the USA, and many other international countries.
However, even though Mejuri offers both international and national shipping, it is worth keeping in mind that shipping prices vary depending on what part of the world the items are being shipped to.
As an example, standard shipping to Canada costs $5, with shipping being free of charge for any orders placed that have come to over $100. The USA has the exact same shipping prices as Canada, and for other countries, prices vary and are usually more expensive.
To double-check what the shipping rates will be for your country, we recommend heading over to the Mejuri website, where you will be able to view the shipping prices for your particular location of the world when you’re ready to check out.
In addition to this, the Mejuri Jewelry company also states in its policy that shipping times can vary, depending on what part of the world pieces of jewelry are being shipped to.
Alongside this, there can also be a delay in delivery time if an item of jewelry is custom or back-ordered. Nevertheless, as soon as you have made an order, you will be able to view estimated shipping dates via the confirmation email that Mejuri will have sent you.
This email will also contain a tracking number, in which you will be able to track the whereabouts of your Merjuri parcel.
What Is Mejuri’s Return Policy?
If for any reason you are unsatisfied with your Merjuri purchase, then you do have a window of time to return your items free of charge. Mejuri usually offers all customers based within Canada, the USA, and Australia a period of 30 days to return their items completely free of charge.
However, to qualify for this, all of the original packaging will need to be still intact and on the item, and the piece of jewelry itself should also not have any signs of wear.
For other parts of the world, you also have the option to return your items free of charge, although time periods can differ slightly.
At the time of writing, however, Mejuri is currently offering an extended free return window of 60 days. To double-check the returns timeframe for your area of the world, we recommend heading over to the Mejuri website, where you will be able to find the information relevant to your area.
As a side note, it’s also important to note that all custom pieces and engraved pieces of jewelry are not eligible for return.
So, once you have paid for them, it means that you will not be able to send it back to Mejuri if you are unhappy with it, or even claim a refund. Nevertheless, for all standard Mejuri jewelry pieces, the return process is as follows:
- Begin by heading over to the Mejuri website. Once you are there, log in to your Mejuri account.
- Once you are in the account settings area of the website, scroll down until you see the section “My Returns” and double click on it.
- After you have clicked on this tab, Mejuri will then direct you through the returns process. You will be able to select the item that you wish to return, as well as state reasons for why you want to return it. Then, Mejuri will generate return labels for you, and you will then be able to post your unwanted returns back to Mejuri, completely free of charge. After that, you will then be issued a refund. Keep in mind that the refund can take a few weeks to be processed, although it is common to have your money deposited back into your account within a 10-day time frame.